Who doesn’t love the blissful, floating feeling of drifting off to sleep on a cloud-like bed? Getting into bed with soft, billowy comfort helps you relax and puts you at ease so you can enjoy restful, uninterrupted sleep all night long.
But is it really possible to make your bed feel like a cloud at home? With the right mattress and bedding selections, you can create a supremely soft and cushy sleep sanctuary. This article will explain tips to make your bed feel light and airy so you sleep soundly.
Benefits of a Super Plush, Cloud-Like Sleep Surface
Before getting into the tips, let’s look at why you may want your bed to mimic the sensation of sleeping on a cloud:
Reduces Pressure Points – Ultra plush surfaces cushion bony areas like your hips, shoulders, and back to minimize pain and soreness.
Alleviates Stress and Anxiety – The soft enveloping comfort makes it easier to leave daily worries behind so you can relax.
Eases Aches and Pains – Floating on a cushiony surface allows your muscles, joints, and body to decompress fully.
Induces Deep Sleep – The cocooning, weightless feeling helps many people fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly through the night.
Enhances Comfort – Thick, billowy comfort simply feels enjoyable, cozy, and heavenly to rest on.
Improves Spinal Alignment – Sinking into softness allows your spine to align in a neutral position.
Recreating the indulgent comfort of a cloud for sleep offers wellness benefits beyond just feeling good. Now let’s get into the tips and tricks.
Pick the Right Mattress for a Floating Feel
Choosing an ultra-plush mattress is the first key step for a cloud-like bed. Softer mattresses allow you to sink in gently instead of feeling materials push back against you. But you still need adequate support.
Here are mattress buying tips:
- Avoid very firm beds – These will feel hard rather than soft and cloud-like.
- Prioritize pressure relief – Memory foam, latex or hybrid mattresses cushion shoulders and hips best.
- Consider adjustable air beds – You can customize the firmness level on each side.
- Choose a quilted pillowtop – Extra stitching prevents surface from becoming uneven.
- Don’t buy based on price alone – A very cheap mattress won’t have high-end materials.
Take advantage of sleep trials to test mattresses in your usual sleep position. Be sure you feel like you’re floating without sagging too much.
Use Ultra Soft Bedding and Pillows
Using the right super plush bedding is also essential for cloud comfort. Here are tips:
- Opt for luxuriously high thread count sheets between 600-1000. The finer the weave, the softer the sheets.
- Go for lightweight blankets like cotton, linen or eucalyptus rather than heavy, overly warm materials.
- Choose down or down alternative comforters for cozy, billowy softness that mimics floating on a cloud.
- Use soft, low-density memory foam or down pillows to cradle your head without distortion.
- Finish with a gentle, smooth bedspread like woven cotton or velvet rather than coarse materials.
Luxurious sheets and bedding make it feel like you’re nestled within the clouds all night.
Add Fluffy Toppers for Extra Cushioning
One of the best ways to make a firmer mattress feel softer is adding a plush mattress topper. Look for these materials and features:
- Featherbeds and down toppers – Add supreme softness and mimic the sensation of sinking into a cloud.
- Wool toppers – Provide cushioning along with moisture-wicking properties to keep you cool.
- 3 to 4 inch thickness – Gives you extra loft without being excessive.
- Memory foam – Cradles your body gently for pressure point relief.
- Natural fibers – Materials like cotton and silk help regulate temperature.
Mattress toppers supply billowy softness without buying a whole new mattress. Just make sure to secure it properly so it doesn’t shift.
Consider Canopy Curtains and Bedding
Visually making your bed look like it’s floating on clouds also helps complete the overall dreamy vibe.
- Hang sheer, breezy canopy curtains around your bed for a floating effect.
- Use a cerulean, sky blue, or cloud-print bedspread and pillow shams.
- Add ceiling drapes in cloud colors to continue the look upwards.
- Place decorative cloud-shaped pillows and string lights along your headboard.
- Paint your wall a soft sky blue.
Surrounding yourself with whimsical clouds inspires relaxation so you feel like you’re dozing atop the clouds.
Incorporate Uplifting Scents and Sounds
Engaging the senses further makes your bed feel like a heavenly escape:
- Use a light, airy essential oil like lavender, eucalyptus, bergamot, or chamomile.
- Set up an aromatherapy diffuser or place drops on your pillowcase.
- Play soft nature sounds like birds chirping, breezes, or ocean waves using a sound machine.
- Add a small water fountain to your room for serene, cascading water sounds.
- Sip sleepytime or chamomile tea while you wind down in bed to relax.
Soothing your senses complements the dreamy cloud vibe so you drift into deep sleep.
Create a Relaxing Pre-Bedtime Routine
Finally, setting yourself up for plush comfort with a consistent bedtime routine. Try:
- Taking a warm bubble bath or shower to cleanse your mind and body before bed.
- Practicing stretching or restorative yoga poses to release muscle tension.
- Reading an uplifting novel or writing in a gratitude journal.
- Listening to calming music as you unwind.
- Meditating or repeating positive affirmations.
- Sipping a warm, caffeine-free drink like herbal tea.
- Dimming the lights to trigger your body’s melatonin production.
Pair your ritzy bedding with habits that prime your mind and body for peaceful slumber.
FAQs About Making Your Bed Feel Like a Cloud
How do you make a bed super soft and comfy?
Use very soft sheets with a high thread count, lightweight down bedding for fluffiness, gentle memory foam mattresses, and thick mattress toppers for maximum cushioning.
What color sheets are the softest? Natural white or light solid colors like sky blue tend to feel the gentlest against your skin. Avoid textured and bold print sheets.
How do 5 star hotels make their beds so comfy? They invest in ultra luxurious sheets, pillows, mattresses and featherbeds. Their professional housekeeping ensures immaculate cleanliness too.
What thread count do hotels use? Luxury hotels use sheets ranging from 250 thread count up to 1000. Higher cotton thread counts feel softer and hold up well with frequent washing.
What mattress do 5 star hotels use? Top hotels use very high-quality mattresses from brands like Simmons Beautyrest, Stearns & Foster, and Serta. They choose plush to medium-firm beds.
With the right indulgently soft mattress, billowy bedding, and a soothing bedtime routine, you can make your bed feel like a heavenly cloud. Look for responsively cushioning surfaces that contour to your body without sagging or distortion. Pair this with featherlight covers, dreamy canopy curtains, calming scents, and meditation. Soon you’ll be drifting into tranquil sleep on a cloud night after night.
Ready to upgrade your bed into a plush oasis? Check out our top-recommended mattresses and bedding for cloud-like comfort. We also offer